Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Fanny Crosby

Blinded at only six weeks old by an incompetent doctor, Fanny Crosby could have spent her life wrapped in bitterness and depression. Instead, she declared that her blindness was “. . . the best thing that ever happened to me. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been distracted by the beautiful and interesting things about me.” Fanny not only sang hymns, she wrote them - between 5,500 and 8,000 of them, including classics such as Blessed Assurance and To God Be the Glory. (The exact number is hard to pin down due to her numerous pseudonyms. We do know that she sometimes authored six hymns a day!) With so much upheaval and confusion all around us, it’s a comfort to have Fanny’s words (old-fashioned though they are) to remind us just Who is in control:

All the way my Savior leads me
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His faithful mercies
Who through life has been my guide?
Heavenly peace, divinest comfort,
ere by faith in Him to dwell.
for I know whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

No comments: